Tuesday 19 November 2013

Gorgeous Vintage shop on Main St


I popped into this shop last week knowing nothing about it. It just looked interesting, especially in the evening when it sort of shone out along quite a boring bit of Main St.
As soon as I went in, I loved it. Its run by Jeff Weiss and his partner David Bailey. Its only just opened and they're having a ribbon cutting in a couple of weeks that I totally intend to be at!
The shop was mildly chaotic, I think because it was still early days, but that gave it the charm that made it so interesting.
Jeff was really excited about it, and was brilliant with everyone who came in. I spotted a few pieces of clothing that were obviously costumes from studios, that seem to come from Jeff's past connections in the film industry.

An old Warner Brothers costume 
I love seeing old costumes, especially 'period costumes'. They so often have some of the style of when they were made, instead of what period they were designed for. Think Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra, with her nipped in waists and prominent bust, shot in 1963. Or Mia Farrow, draped in rather alot of transparent nylon in The Great Gatsby in 1974.



 The shop is full of clothing, shoes, paintings (I fell in love with a really badly painted Colour By Numbers picture) and just lots of interesting things that you'd want in your house..










I loved this shop, it was small but crammed with gorgeous things. Jeff and David obviously love clothes and love working together.
I wish them every success in their new venture. And will be back very soon.




Jeff and David outside Gumbo Vintage, 1378 Main St, Venice, CA 90291
They're on Facebook too.

No comments:

Post a Comment